Friday, December 10, 2010

Kansas City, MO - Day 8

Finally, caught up to today. I apologize for not staying on top of my journal entries. I know some of you have been wondering how I've been as I haven't been updating as I should.

Well today, I was a part of group that went to a prison in the capitol of Missouri, Jefferson City. The rest of the team consisted of James, Nick, Alex, Josh, Michelle, Karissa, Renee, Maria, Krista, and Andy Holtberg. The group of inmates we were going to minister to were men who are to be released in the next year or so and volunteer to go into an 18-month faith-based program where they're taught about Christianity and discipled . . . seemed a lot like Ignite, which Andy pointed out as a moot point with the inmates. We met at 6:45 am and drove for two hours, with two stops at Starbucks and the gas station. We finally arrived at the prison at 9:30. However, a problem arose when I realized that I needed photo ID to get into the prison and had left said ID in my hotel room. But we walked up to the gate and asked if I'd be allowed in without my ID and they said no. So Krista and Alex walked me back to the van and then went back to join the rest of the group. I admit I was very upset that I didn't get to go along. I cried for a few minutes, just letting myself vent. Then I started asking why I was crying and I realized that I didn't really know. It could have been self-pity, self-condemnation, or something else. But I told myself to stop wallowing in how sad my situation was and actually start to think about others. So I began to pray, first for the men who would be ministered to and then for each my fellow team members individually. I spoke my prayer aloud because there was nobody around to bother and there is a certain power and finality that comes when things are spoken out loud. Once I finished praying for the last person I fell immediately to sleep. It's almost as if my part was done so I put to sleep so that time wouldn't seem to drag on for me while I waited. I woke up shortly before everyone arrived. They were all so happy to see me and asked if I had been ok. They were all so kind and considerate of me and I really appreciated it. Then I got to hear about how things went inside the prison. Apparently, there were a lot of safety measures taken and then they were led into a room that acted like a chapel with a guitar and microphones. So they worshipped with three songs and Michelle and James spoke. Since there was still time left, Renee, Karissa, Alex, and Krista spoke as well. In the last 10 minutes, they broke into groups of five and told each other their dreams and passions and then prayed. But I was especially encouraged when Maria told me that they could tell that I was praying for them. I haven't learned yet what exactly that means but it really touched me that what I was doing alone in the van actually made a difference for the team. Then we went to a local restaurant called the Prison Brewery and had an excellent lunch. After that, we saw the capitol building (very impressive looking) and then drove back to the hotel. The rides in the car were so much fun and were a great time just being with people I hadn't normally hung out with. Once we got back to the hotel, I talked with Eden since we hadn't reallys seen each other for two days. It may seem silly but once you've lived with someone and gotten used to seeing them on a daily basis for almost four months, it's very strange not to see them for two days. But anyways, we went to Panera Bread again for dinner and returned to the hotel where I now sit typing this update.

I hope this finds you all well and safe and I can't wait to see you all again soon.

No comments: