Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Kansas City, MO - Day 6

Here's the update for my day. Hope you enjoy it.

Today, like the the two days before, began with devotions, breakfast, and the drive to the River of Refuge. The first part of my day was spent tearing out more sheetrock from one of the smaller rooms. I got to kick down one of the walls. That made me feel so accomplished. But anyways, the rest of the day I undid screws from the various beams that formed the rooms. It was very tedious work but important and valuable. I've discovered that if I don't have people near me, I can work absolutely silently, no singing. That was quite the revelation to myself. An exciting note is that I stepped on a screw and had to take it out with a screwdriver. Towards the end of the day, we had everyone pitch in sweeping, picking up pieces of sheet rock, shoveling debris into trashcans to be dumped in the dumpster. Then a group of us were taken outside to pick up the trash that hadn't quite made it into the dumpster. At first, we had to wait because there were people still dumping trash. At one point, one of the trashcans was pitched into the dumpster so Josh, Renee, Nick, and I climbed into the dumpster to get it out. Since then, Nick has sometimes called me Mulan because I had scale the side of the dumpster since it was so much taller than me. Then we picked up the bigger pieces of trash and tried to rake the smaller ones onto shovels to be thrown in. But after finishing work for the day (and consequently for the rest of the trip) at the River of Refuge, I have a new-found respect for construction workers. They have to put with so much that was wearing us out after three days. Many people were complaining of coughs and itchiness from fiberglass. It was crazy amounts of work and we were all glad for it to be done. We then came back to the hotel and lounged about. But a surprise waited for us at the hotel: Mike Larkin had arrived from California with Josh and Summer Smith, a couple from North Carolina who are interested in helping with Ignite once it moves to Virginia next year. Then we went out to eat at Red Robin where I ended up sitting at a two-person table with Eden. We had a great time just talking and laughing. Then we came back to the hotel where we all went to bed early because we had a very early day the next morning.

No comments: