Monday, June 11, 2012

55 Word Stories

Hello Readers, if there are any. I know it's been a while but I finally have something to post. Well, something that I want to post, that is.

During my fall semester, I took a short story writing class. Each week, we were given a different prompt so that we could try out different kinds of short stories. It was a lot of fun and taught me a lot about how to write different kinds of short stories. One of my favorites was called the 55-word story. As said by its name, the story is only 55 words long: the first sentence is 10 words, the next is 9, then 8, and so on and so forth. It was a lot of fun to write and I wanted to share them here.

Fairy Dances

The fairies danced upon the flower’s petals as I watched. Twirling in the air, they looked like shooting stars.
I wanted so to join their lovely dance.
But I didn’t know how to ask.
So I simply watched and longed.
Then, they saw me staring.
They stopped and whispered.
One flew close.
She laughed.
Twinkling.

The Light Next Door
Light shines from the lamp in my neighbor’s upper bedroom.
I’ve never seen anything in that room before tonight.
It intrigues me so I move in closer.
Perhaps he’s rented out the extra space.
Heaven knows he needs the money.
But why wait so long?
I don’t really know.
I should ask.
Shouldn’t I?
Nevermind.

No comments: