Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One Reason I Love George MacDonald

I have discovered a new love in the form of George MacDonald. As of now, I have read The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, The Light Princess, The Giant's Heart, The Golden Key, Phantastes, and Lilith and have heard a dramatized version of At the Back of the North Wind. In my own humble opinion, he's an absolute genius. He seamlessly blends theological and philosophical ideas with wonderful fantasy. And he has an increadible ability with words. Take this quote I found in Lilith.

What a hell of horror, I thought, to wander alone, a bare existence never going out of itself, never widening its life in another life, but, bound with the cords of its poor peculiarities, lying an eternal prisoner in the dungeon of its own being!

Is that not only beautiful but brilliant. Mr. MacDonald so magically captures the horrors of what life would be if it were not for interaction with others, what a terror it would be if we did not share with others. Ahhh, George MacDonald, you have made my life so much better. And thank you, my dear friends (if any of you are reading this) for all the time that you have spent with me, pouring yourselves into my meager life. I pray that God blesses you all for your sacrifices for me.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

That WAS an awesome quote. And don't be silly, "it is more blessed to give than to receive". =]

Ariel said...

Thank you, friend. And I do hope to hear about your European trip soon. ;)