Sunday, May 2, 2010

Shakespeare and Reader's Theatre

This past year, I've been wonderfully exposed to the glories of some of Shakespeare's most famous plays. I'm very sad that it's taken me this long to finally read any Shakespeare but 'tis all in the past now. My Shakespeare class in now in rehearsal for "Much Ado About Nothing" in the reader's theatre style of acting. It is quite different from any other kind of acting I've ever done as it is more about what you say and how you say it than it is about what you're doing while you're saying it. If you want to be sinister, you can't walk in a circle 'round your victim menacingly or whisper terrible things into their ear. Rather you must make you voice express all the malicious intents that are stored in your evil heart. At first, I didn't think it would be all that hard but as we started going at it, I realized that I don't necessarily put all of what I mean, as a character, into what I say. After only two sessions, I've learned how strong the spoken word is and the magic that can be done with them.

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

Ooooh! When? Where? May I come and watch? Yay for awesome background =]

Ariel said...

Sorry for getting back so late. Hopefully it'll be at my house on the 30th at 6:00. I'll have definite answers by Tuesday.

Ariel said...

Well, I now know it won't be on Sunday but it will either be on Saturday or a week from Wednesday (meaning June 2).